Saturday 22 November 2008

UCISA Conference Day Three and reflection

It was a rather late night the night before but a very good turnout for the first speaker of the day who managed to get everyone motivated with some pretty simple but effective techniques to ensure audience participation - must remember the use of yellow and red cards for some future event. We were doing a mini Myers-Briggs type self assessment - it was fascinating to do it in a group of about 150+ people because our speaker was able to get a pretty good profile of what the CISG audience versus the national population looked like: answer pretty close to the national for ESTJ. I'd had a go at the self-assessment in about 10 minutes before we got into the session and I had come out as an ENTJ. I'm going to look back and see what I thought I was about a year and a half ago last time I did a M-B and also I have one going back about ten years. As it is mostly about personal preferences you would normally expect a fairly consistent preference over time. Anyway, I just took a quick look at a more detailed portrait of an ENTJ on the web here and it said - Possible career path University Professor or Administrator.....oh my god....should that be a surprise. Maybe that's why I've stayed as long as I have and enjoy it so much (usually)?? There's also a lot of potential weaknesses which being aware of them allows you to potentially do something about them. The next session was on UKPASS and having heard this I cannot see why we are not a part of this and if we aren't need to find out when we will be. It cannot make much sense once this thing reaches a critical mass not to be applying through this route. As I left the conference there was time to hand in my badge, my questionnaire and say goodbye to Nick and Sue who have once again made everything run so smoothly. It has been an excellent event and well worth the time - not least to meet from breakfast till early in the morning with a bunch of people who are prepared to share both personal and business wisdom - as they say the best free consultancy you can probably get.

No comments: