There have been a number of things going on this week. The “moles” have been hard at it again this week and I have been updating the tracker.
I had a very useful follow-up with the Marketing Team in which they shared their strategy on web, social and paper-based marketing and recruitment activity. They are working collaboratively across the Faculties and it was positive to hear about the consistent approach they have developed using the Content Management System (T4) and the progress which has been made on social media presence (top 10 in UK higher Education currently). A clear strategy of quality over quantity paying off. We also had a useful discussion about course information and how that is being interfaced from SITS into T4 currently and the linkage that has been picked up with our in-house system (WOLF). This team's timescales may need to be factored in due to timelines for paper-based prospectus and course related information. They were constructively critical about a couple of activities which would make life easier for them and have got "stuck". I will attempt to unblock for my next meeting with them to follow up in two weeks.
There were some really positive meetings this week, including the DAS Leadership Team and the DAS Digital Campus Board. I did a little research and provided links to Penn State who are a little ahead of us, but also in the midst of a major Canvas migration. We are in good company with Canvas. I also made contact with UWL ref Sharepoint and they are willing to assist us setting up a call next week and also interested in our Canvas experiences.
I completed a Powerpoint report from last week's Data Centre tour. I took some time to feedback a summary to Ian for the Directorate's Risk Register. There were some other potential risks that have cropped up which were recorded in the "current state analysis" report so I have also taken the opportunity to raise those as well.
I have kept an eye on the information audit work and tender. On Thursday, I provided responses to a number of questions which have been raised by interested suppliers. There was also a request to identify top University suppliers over the last three years. I now have the analysis and the total investment is significant. My original objective was seeking out key existing partners to bring together to seek insight into Digital Strategy external to Wolverhampton. In discussing, I am now also adding in key sector suppliers who we don't currently do business with.
Some really good intra-team discussions taking place this week. For example putting together some plans for a series of "Tech Talks" starting in the New Year. The focus is on sharing knowledge, but its not going to be exclusive in any way, and there was a suggestion that there may be interest from colleagues outside of DAS. There is also consideration being given to Continual Service Improvement ahead of the new Enquiry Management System and that is very encouraging.
Final session of the week was to discuss the Enquiry Management implementation project once we get beyond the standstill period. It will require effective Project Management, clarity over the scope (incident-focus). One of the critical success factors will be the technical input from the supplier/integrator with configuring the system. We are going to set up a conference call with a reference site so that colleagues can explore some of the project-related issues and timescales.