Thursday 29 May 2008

Returning from London

Sitting on the train which left at 18:33 and reflecting on a long day full of meetings at the rather plush JISC offices at the side of the River Thames. The first session of the day was a presentation from the Open Group and I'm still not sure what it was all about. I wasn't the only one at least who didn't understand but kept quiet rather than asking dumb questions (relief shared). There was an interesting report attached to a Group report about the Unique Learner Number (ULN) which I wasn't aware of and must pass onto the student admin people. Seems like that could be important. There was a lively discussion about customer service versus technology and professionalising not just the IT service but the raft of customer service points in a University. Interesting that University of Bradford is one of a handful of UK Universities that already have "customer first" accreditation but this is for our RKTS enterprise rather than for our IT service. Same for Leeds being promoted on the customer first homepage. Perhaps we have more catching up than we think or maybe students don't know (or care?) about plaques and certificates (but only if they get a great service!). The conference committee was very lively and the train journey home has allowed time for writing up the notes AND sending them to the rest of the group before they get home for tea. Helen and Megan are at Northern Broadsides in Dean Clough to see Shakespeare - apparently one of its claims to fame is full frontal (male) nudity - I guess my ticket will have gone to a female friend as I'm missing it...........

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy to admit that I was the other person who hadn't a clue what the first session was about! If I find out, I'll let you know.