Monday 30 June 2008

Feedback on blogging

Here is the comment: The blog is interesting. But I don't feel I have time to read it... maybe I should make time? but in that case what to stop doing? and what if I also wanted to find time for a blog of my own? and what if all my colleagues were also writing interesting blogs? Are you reading lots of other blogs as well as writing your own? who is the target audience? what is / should be the balance between work and more personal stuff in there? do you have time to write an annual report as well?!

And here is the response: I guess this blog is an opportunity to communicate thoughts, ideas and generate a potential debate about issues that are mainly work related. There are only a few people reading but others say you need to gain some momentum and promote it to get to a tipping point where others actively chip in. If others want to do the same that seems like a good idea to me (please do - it's quite easy actually and doesn't take more than 5-10 minutes a day - happy to show anyone thow to get started). I am regularly reading a few other blogs within a "friendship" group but suspect there are few people currently doing this actively within the work context - although many students and others in a more social context. The target audience is simply people that know me or might possibly be interested in something that me or others might say. I think there should be some personal stuff in the mix - one of the things that I learned during recent 360 degree feedback and LSI inventories is that the separation of work and personal life is not necessarily a good thing and if it helps others to know something about you, your interests, family, experiences then that is overall a good thing to do. Whether you have time to write an annual report is a good question. I think that question could mean that if you have time to do blogs and other stuff like that then either you have too much time on your hands or you could be doing something more constructive instead. The other way to look at it, is that writing these jottings is sometimes done at work and sometimes on the move and more often than not at home out of hours so because I don't work a 9-5 existence I suppose that this is something that I principally choose to do in my own time. That's why I was wondering whether it was worth it and I think I'll persevere a little more (thanks to the four people who said yes it's down to you!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Graham - interesting comments. I got some very similar ones when I asked people about my blog - mainly from my department. I started mine as an attempt to keep people in the dept up to date with what I was doing and stuff happening in the university. I was amazed by the comment "I haven't got time to read it" - as you say, it only takes 5 to 10 minutes to write, it can only take about 2 minutes to read every day! I promoted mine quite a lot - I sent an email round about it, it's linked to from our departmental home page, and gets referred to now quite a lot in internal newsletters and the like. I've watched the readership go gradually up, from outside as well as inside the institution, but it took about 3 months to become established.